Wednesday 20 April 2016

On Exhibition Now

I thought you might like to have a look at one of the paintings which is currently on show in Long Melford in Suffolk.

Spring Tide, Aldeburgh (Oil on linen, 24 x 26)

This is a painting of the North Sea at Aldeburgh, with a little crest of a moon in the sky.  I first visited Aldeburgh years ago when I had a show at the gallery there.  Suffolk wasn't top of my list for visiting in terms of finding a landscape to paint - being a Scottish painter of mountains and wild coasts, the flat vistas of this part of England hadn't been on my radar, even though they were, of course, the grist to the mill of painters such as Constable.

However, I soon found that I loved the long, noisy, shingly beach of Aldeburgh, with its big, wide, open sky.  I spent a long time taking photographs at several different times of the year, in all weathers and at different times of the day, just so I could watch the waves, sea the weather coming in, and observe the changes in the colours, and the textures of the landscape and the sea.  Which is just what Constable did.



The boats pulled up on to the beach are especial (and now very familiar) favourites.

You can see the other paintings in the show  here.

No comments:

Post a Comment