Monday 15 September 2014

Aurora Borealis over Northern Ireland

There have been some amazing photos taken this weekend of the Northern Lights over the skies of some places which are very, very familiar to me - the Causeway Coast in Northern Ireland. (I've been lucky enough to see the aurora borealis myself twice - once in a flight over Greenland, and once on the M8 coming back from Edinburgh - slightly less romantic!)

Here's one, of the colours in the night sky over the teashop at the harbour at Ballintoy on the Antrim Coast - I was there only the other week!

(c) Stephen Wallace

And here is Dunluce Castle - doesn't it look amazing?  When you're there looking out along the Antrim coast, you can see down to the right towards the tip of Southern Ireland, and then out over the sea towards mainland Scotland and the Mull of Kintyre, and the islands of Islay and Jura (on a clear day).

(c) Alastair Hamill

Coincidentally, I've been working today on some paintings of Fair Head, which is a little further along the coast at Ballycastle.  When I was there, the hedgerows were full of flowering fuschia, which is peculiar to that part of the coastline.


I'll let you see the painting when I've finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment